Sunday, June 22, 2008

Need a good book?

Oh wow, I just finished an awesome book this week that I have to recommend to EVERYONE. I am even hoping to get Richard to read it(I know, I'm just dreaming now!) It was one of those books I just couldn't put down. I read and read, doing little else for three days. The kids were lucky, they got a lot of time at the park. They played, I read. We were ALL happy! Anyway, this book is called "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer. Yes, she is the author of the Twilight series, which is also a wonderful set of books, can't wait till the next one comes out in August! But Host is geared more to adults than Twilight. The writing is incredible and the storyline just sucks you in and won't let go. I could almost hear the house itself give a sigh of relief when I finished the last page. Now the kitchen is clean and the laundry pile is shrinking again. I don't want to say too much about the book, I don't want to give too much away. But please do READ IT!! I truly hope she is planning to write more!

For my birthday this year my dear sweet Grandma Kaye sent me a gift card to Barnes and Noble. I LOVE that place, but usually only get to go there to buy gifts for other people or help the kids pick out something with their gift cards. I wander the aisles dreaming of buying books for myself, but rarely do I allow myself the joy and expense of buying a new book! So last week Richard took me to use my gift card and that is where I got the Host!!

I love to read, it's an addiction really. I have to be careful about it though, as with the book above, if I start a really good book, I can't stop reading. I have to hurry and finish it so I can get back to my life! I think reading is one of the main things that got me through 21 weeks of bedrest while I was pregnant with Annalina. I read the entire "The Work and the Glory" series, which is at least 9 books, each 700-800 pages long. Another great series about the early church and the trials they went through all the way to the settlement of the Utah valley. A powerful series I have read twice now! I also love the "Children of the Promise" series which is set during World War II.

I welcome suggestions about good books, but if you have a really good one to tell me about, please advise me to clean my house thoroughly first! hehe

No comments: