Thursday, June 5, 2008

Kids say the darndest things...

My kids are always saying funny things. It is great to get to see life through their eyes. I always tell myself I will write it all down in my journal so I can remember it later in life, but that never happens! Now I have a great place to write it all down and share it at the same time!

I walked into the living room to find all the sofa cushions on the floor in a pile. I asked Joseph who did it and he said Annalina! I said "Joseph, are you lyin?" in a teasing voice, and he said, "Yes mom, I'm a lion, Roarrrr...."

Last week Annalina got off the bus. She was laughing. I asked her what was so funny and she said that a big boy sitting behind her on the bus had been copying everything she said. As a former child, I know this is done with the intention of annoying the person being copied. But Annalina got a huge kick out of it. You see to her it was the highest compliment of all. She told me, "Mom, that big boy wants to be just like me". You just have to love that outlook on life. By the time she got off the bus, she had that bigger boy laughing right along with her.

This past winter Annalina and I were hanging out together since the older kids were off at church activities. We had put Joseph down to bed and decided we needed some fun time together. So we turned on the Harlem Globetrotters television special and watched it. She thought it was hilarious and thoroughly enjoyed herself, so of course I did too! She turned to me and said, "Mom, I will always have happy remembers of tonight". What a sweet sentiment put quite nicely in her own words. I did not correct her because it was so cute. Maybe I am wrong in doing that, but she is only 6 and there will come a time when she will always talk properly. I guess I am just not in a hurry for that time to come!

We had to stop at GI Joes to pick something up and on the way out Annalina said, "I know where we are Mom, I read the sign, we are at Sally's!" I looked up and sure enough there was a big banner that said "Sale" which she sounded out to be Sally.

Many many years ago when Jacob was in Kindergarten I would take him back to the school in the afternoon once a week for a speech therapy session. I would watch as he played games or played with toys with the therapist. One day she was showing him cards. The first had two flowers on it. She asked him what it was, but he did not know. She told him tulips and he repeated her. A few cards later she showed him a card with three of the same flowers on it. She asked him what it was and without missing a beat he replied, "three-lips". We laughed and laughed, but he did not get it!

No comments: