Saturday, August 4, 2012

SENIOR TRACK SEASON: DISTRICTS AND STATE (Jacob's point of view)


(Yay, my very first guest post, here is Jacob's track season as seen through his own eyes)

     I had a fun senior year of track and I loved every moment of it. From out-running dogs, winning the 4X800 and distance medley at the Hillsboro relays to becoming one of the top runners in the Pacific league. I wasn't planning on doing track because I wanted to get a job and save money for a mission, but after I ran a 16:59 5k at XC districts, I decided to run track.

     I was really excited to run districts; I was ready for some revenge after what happened my junior year of track (didn't place at districts). I ran the 1500 and 3000 at districts. Before the races I was seated third in the 3k and fourth in the 1500. On Thursday May 17th I ran the 3k hoping to qualify for state. Before the race the head coach talked with me about the race and he felt confident that I could get first or second. During the 3000, I was running with the front pack just running my hardest. About two laps to go I was in second being neck in neck with Tyler Shipley from Forest Grove. As soon as the bell rang (meaning one lap to go) I was a little impatient and passed Tyler to take the lead. 100 meters to go Bo McCullough from Hillsboro and Tyler out-sprinted me at the end and I missed a spot at state by two seconds. The bright side was that I got a lifetime PR running 9 minutes and 17.05 seconds. Another awesome thing was that I had a cousin who ran the 3k with me. His name is Seth Berdahl, he was a freshman at Forest Grove High school, and he finished fourth in the 3k. After the race I stumbled to the ground and I felt so weak that I couldn't get up on my own. Bo tried helping me up and that didn't work out well, so Ryan England, a team-mate and a two time State qualifier came over to help out. I also ended up throwing up, that was telling me that I was dehydrated. My distance coach told me to take an ice cold bath and get some sleep. Before I went home, my parents took me to 7-eleven and bought me a bottle of chocolate milk and Gatorade. Shortly after  I got home I felt better, strong again, and was ready for the 1500 the next day.

       Friday May 18th was the day that could have been my last high school race ever. Districts was all about the second place spot because Geremia Lizier-Zmudzinski from Forest Grove was going to get the win because he's one of the best runners in the state.  His PR before state was a 3:56 (he ended up winning state with a time of 3:53). After Coach Rice got out from his coaching meeting, we had a one on one talk. He told me to worry about myself and have fun. Before I knew it the 1500 was about to start and I was very nervous. As soon as the race started I was settled at third while Kyle Rose from Tigard tried to challenge Geremia. My mind was like "You've beaten this guy before, Go get him!" 500 meters to go, I passed Kyle and I was in second, I was worried that someone was going to pass me, but in the end, I finished second in the 1500 with a PR of 4 minutes and 14.66 seconds. I shouted for joy many times saying "I'm going to State!," got many hugs from many people, and got interviewed by someone from the Hillsboro Argus and made it into a newspaper Article. I enjoyed the rest of the meet.  I watched Ryan qualify for State in the 800 for the second consecutive year and watching the men's 4x400 team (Ryan, Trebriel Larry, Alex Barr, and Josh Friend) win by .03 seconds. It was a great day to be a Crimson Tide.
      
     The first day of practice before the state meet felt really weird, because there was barely anyone practicing on the track. Before practice the head coach talked to every state qualifier, he mentioned me first and he told me that he was more proud of me than any other Glencoe athlete. Throughout the week I trained hard and  Thursday afternoon was the day we left for Eugene. It was a fun 2 1/2 days. As soon as we got to the Phoenix Inn and relaxed a little bit, we went to Hayward Field (University of Oregon) and practiced there, I'll admit it was a really nice track, in fact the Olympic time trials were held on that track a couple of months ago. After Thursday's practice, the team and I went to a family's house out in the country in Eugene for dinner. The family that lives there had a really nice place, they had a pond with the island in the middle of it. The funniest thing about state is Ryan brought a clown costume with him and he wore it around the hotel, Trebriel and I wore it as well.

     Friday May 25th was the first day of the State meet. I didn't run because the 1500 was the next day, but I had to get some running done. So as soon as Ryan began to warm up for the 800 prelims, I ran with him. Ryan was so close to getting a spot at the finals, but he took 10th overall, top 8 finishers got to run the finals the next day. I also watched the 3000 so I could support Bo and Tyler. Our 4x400 team did really well, even though they didn't make it to finals the next day. One crazy thing that I found out was that I was one of the two back-up 4X400 runners. Yeah, I was like "what? I'm not running a 400." Saturday May 26th was the day I ran the 1500. About two hours before my race, a couple of coaches took me to subway for lunch. I was the last person to finish the 1500, I was a little disappointed, but I got over it during the day, the bright side was that I went to state and worked extremely hard for it, so I was thankful for the experience.

         About two weeks later there was a track banquet. My family and I went to that and I brought all the ribbons I received throughout the season. I received many awards. I was named most improved on the track team, I got two all conference awards: second team 3000 and first team 1500. I also got a varsity letter for track. Ending my high school career, I am a three time letter in track and four time letter in XC.





 



No comments: