Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Star Student of the Week

Annalina is the Star Student of the week in her class. This means we got to make a poster of pictures about her life and her favorite things to do. It is hanging in the class room and on Friday she will get to explain it to the class. She will also be able to take some show and tell items to share. She gets to be line leader and I am sure there are other benefits, but I haven't gotten clear answers out of her on them yet. She is very excited that this is her lucky week!

She came in the door from school yesterday looking very sad. I asked her what was wrong and she said a boy on the bus called her a crybaby. I asked her why she had been crying on the bus and she said, "I wasn't Mom, but when he called me a crybaby, it made me sad and I cried". The rest of the story came out and I learned that her friend told a boy at the back of the bus that he could not save seats. He got mad and said they were all a bunch of cry babies. She took this very personally and it made her sad. I explained sometimes people say things to make us sad, we just have to ignore them. Hard lessons for a 6 year old, but she seemed to understand what I was telling her. It was just a cute response from my perspective, one that is so Annalina!

2 comments:

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

Poor baby. I know from experience how hard it is to be sensitive. Our sweet little Annalina will have to learn like the rest of us. I love the Start Student of the week-- I am thinking of doing this at home- at FHE nominating one of the kids to be the star for the next day and have them do special things.... thanks for sharing the great idea!

Jill said...

What a cutie Amy! Your girls look just like you. It's fun to see your family. You must be thankful for a sweet tender hearted one like Annalina, my Ally is not so much that way. She's a good girl, but a little on the tough side. Probably because of all of her brothers...darn boys.:)I'm trying to teach her to have more empathy, I don't know if it's working or not.