Saturday, October 11, 2008

A broken record...in more ways than one

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I just have to blog about Jake's broken records! We went to a XC meet on Wednesday and watched him run 3.1 miles in 19 minutes and 20 seconds. This was down from his last run of 19:48. It was a beautiful day for running, nice and sunny but cool. He learned that the run would be fairly flat so he set a goal to run it in less than 20 minutes. He did great! He seems to be making a new personal record every time he runs! Annalina went over to him when he was finished and asked for a high five! Instead he gave her a big hug. A very touching moment for a mother, especially with these two who are almost always at odds!

Well today Jacob went to the Adidas invitational in Portland with his team. We did not get to go watch him, but he told us there were a lot of hills to go up and yet he still beat his time from the flat run and came in at 19:18. It must be the new running shoes we bought him last night! Actually he is just a very passionate runner! Last night a bunch of the kids from the various high school sports teams met at Mooberry Elementary School with flashlights. They object of the game was to run to Glencoe without getting tagged by the kids who met at Glencoe and left to "hunt" down the runners. After making it safely to Glencoe, they traded roles and Jake's teams were "it" and went out looking for the runners. Jake really enjoyed being with the other kids!

On Thursday I took my first A&P exam. I read the chapters several times and went over my notes and then decided I would do just fine. After all, the test is multiple choice! I went to bed Wednesday night feeling very confident. Early thursday morning I started having bad dreams about missing the exam due to car problems, or not being able to find my notes to study from, not having the scantron form to fill in etc. I figured I should continue studying and used my online site to take practice tests on each of the chapters. I was failing miserably, they were really hard tests, so my anxiety rose until I was sure I would do very poorly on the test! I kept reviewing my notes and then I went and took the exam. It wasn't so hard. Only 50 questions and I felt good about 40 of them. Our teacher was kind enough to grade them that night and posted our scores on the online class page. I got 92%! Yippee! I am feeling much better about the class now, although I have a lab exam on Tuesday that is NOT multiple choice, yikes! It is a good feeling to be learning, stretching my mind to understand new concepts. I'll admit that I am really enjoying going to school and am looking forward to being a nurse!

No comments: