Monday, August 26, 2013

Chicken, yummy chicken

In a couple months we will be getting another large order of Zaycon chicken, at least 80 pounds this time, perhaps as many as 160.  It only comes around every 6 months so we try to get a bunch and freeze it.  I like to fill all four of my crockpots on the day we get it and let the breasts cook until they shred easily. Then I package it up into freezer bags of about 3 cups or so.  This makes it easy to make some of my favorite meals like Colorade White Chilli, Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, Chicken Nachos or Tacos, or our favorite BBQ Chicken and Bacon Stromboli. 

I also like to premake freezer meals for the crock pot.  I discovered this last fall and it is such a time saver!  I get out a meal bag from my freezer, pop it into the slow cooker and let it go all day.  In the evening we have a wonderful yummy meal with very little prep.  And the house smells great.  Here are a few of my favorite recips for Chicken crock pot meals.

Crock Pot Hawaiian Chicken(found on Saving You Dinero)(4-5 servings)
  • 2-3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • ½ cup vinegar
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • ½ cup of pineapple juice (use what’s in the can)
  • ½ can of large pineapple chunks (yuck, I crock with these in then remove them before serving)
Add all the ingredients to the bag. Cook 4-5 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low. Serve it over rice and enjoy. While I am cooking the rice I like to shred the chicken and put it back in the juice before I serve it.

Chicken Fajitas
( 5-6 servings)
  • 2 peppers (your favorite)
  • 1 onion
  • 1 1/2 pound chicken breast
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • fajita seasoning packet
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. salt
You will also need tortillas, cheese, cream, etc.
Directions
  1. Put all the ingredients in a large freezer bag. (Make sure you label the bag with instructions.)
  2. When it’s time to cook it, dump it all in your slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
  3. When it’s cooked, shred the meat and add it back to the pepper mixture and serve on warm tortillas and your favorite toppings.

No comments: