Friday, November 7, 2008

Grandma Frederick's Microwave Caramel Corn

When I was younger my Grandma Frederick used to make us caramel corn when we came to visit. It was so yummy! I suppose since grandma was so traditional in her cooking, I was always shocked to see she made it in the microwave! She gave us the recipe and we tried making it at home. It worked for us too and I LOVED that recipe. Well its been years since I have had Grandma's microwave caramel corn and I don't even know what has become of the recipe. On a whim I googled it and what do you know...you really can find just about anything on the web. We will be making this soon with the kids and hopefully they will like it as much as I did when I was little. The only difference in this recipe is that we made the caramel coating in a pot on the stove, but I suppose you can do it this way too. It will be fun to try out!

Next time you go to the grocery store, ask for your groceries in paper bags. You'll need one bag per batch.
3-4 quarts popped corn
1 stick of butter (no substitutes!)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup Karo Syrup
1 tsp baking soda - add last

Pop the corn and discard the unpopped kernels. Put the popped corn in the paper sack. While the corn is popping, put the butter, sugar, salt and syrup in a glass bowl and bring it to a boil in your microwave. Stir after one minute, and let it boil for an additional minute. Add one tsp of baking soda and stir well, until thickened. It will turn light in color and look like taffy. Pour this mixture over the popped corn in the paper bag and shake well. Put the paper bag back in the microwave and cook an additional 1-1/2 minutes (90 seconds). Remove and shake well again. Return to the microwave and cook another 1-1/2 minutes. Shake again. Open the bag and let it cool. You can even tear the bag down the side and speed up the process.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Amy you are the best cousin ever...thanks for the recipe!! I miss Grandma calling us Miss Amy or Miss Jilly-Jill. Sweet memories. Now I can make her sweet caramel corn!

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

YUM! Thanks for sharing. :o)

Beth said...

Wowzas!!! Guess I haven't been in to check on ya lately... your blog has gone GREEN! LOL! (Or maybe I've just been so oblivious that I hadn't paid attention to the colors..... that is HIGHLY probable.... I'm a total space cadet!) And what are you THINKING giving out fabulously yummy looking recipes???!!! Now I'm going to have to MAKE that popcorn and EAT it all!!! YUM!!! LOL!

Bethany said...

That brings back so many memories! Especially this time of year it's nice to think of Grandma! Thanks for finding that recipe, I will have to make some soon; the kids will love it!!