Monday, January 7, 2013

Why I Love BYU-I

Today is the first day of classes here at BYU-I and after surviving my first semester here I wanted to take a few minutes to talk about my experiences. I am so very grateful for this opportunity I have to attend such an amazing university. It is refreshing to go to a school where swearing is never overheard, where second hand smoke does not permeate the air, and where young men and women alike dress modestly and respect themselves and those around them and where young people go out of their way to help each other out.  I have had the pleasure of interacting with many young college students who are kind and friendly and that is very different from my previous college experiences!  I love that classes start with a prayer. I appreciate that the teachers here give uplifting spiritual thoughts during class. I love the excitement I hear in voices of students talking about going on missions or discussing  the weekly devotional topic!  I love the bells that ring between classes to the tune of hymn or primary songs!  I often find those songs stick with me throughout the day! The campus is beautiful and well kept.  Each time I go to a new area of campus I find something beautiful to admire!  Water features, walking paths, beautiful flowers in the summer, it is truly amazing the beauty that is BYU-Idaho!

The learning model here includes learning by the Spirit and last semester I truly learned how important it is to ask for the Holy Spirit in everyday learning.  I can't even count the number of times I sat down to do Chemistry homework that made absolutely NO sense to me.  I stopped to pray and asked sincerely for help and within a few minutes my mind was cleared and I was able to learn these difficult concepts.  I know the Lord listens to us and helps us when we need it and ask him sincerely.

The people at BYU-I are amazing for the most part.  I was worried about being so much older at BYU-I.  And I am older.  I think I was the only person over 25 in all of my campus classes and I think I was older than my teachers as well.  But other students went out of their way to talk to me and to help me and include me in group projects.  Sometimes I wondered if I reminded them of their Mother's and that is what drew them to me!  One day I was waiting for Richard to pick me up and a car pulled up.  A group of girls hopped out and a few girls hopped in.  One of them ran over to me and asked if I needed a ride!  How sweet! 

I am feeling a little unsettled starting up a new semester.  I am taking more classes this semester and sometimes I start to doubt myself.  But last semester I learned to do my best not to be afraid.  Having fear can keep the Spirit away.  If I am afraid of my classes then I am not demonstrating the faith that the Lord can help me get through anything.  So I have been trying to keep in mind that help is always just a prayer away.  No matter how hard things get, the Lord is listening and I know he wants me to succeed.  If I can just remember that, I have no reason to fear and if I am not afraid, the Spirit can speak to me and I will be able to hear and heed its counsel.

I am so grateful for this opportunity my family and I have to be here in Rexburg attending such a wonderful school!  

No comments: