Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer Fun!

School was out for all the kids last Wednesday! Thursday I had to pick up my 30 pound bucket of strawberries. Each year the stakes in the area get together and order in mass quantities from a grower in the Salem area. Its a great way to get Oregon berries without all the work. They come picked, cleaned, sliced and ready to go! So Megan came over to help me with them. We made some freezer jam, our first attempt ever and it turned out wonderfully. We had a fun time visiting and Mom even came over for a while to help, although the pectin I was using had different recipes than she had ever used. I froze a bunch of the berries and will thaw some more out when my raspberries come in a couple of weeks. Megan and I will go crazy making jams! We may even try to can some so as to save on the freezer space. I am still big on the freezer cooking thing!

Adrienne had a Laurel campout on Friday night and they had asked Richard to go along as a priesthood leader and help out. Adrienne asked me to come along too. So I did. I have not camped since I was pregnant with Joseph. It was not a pleasant experience for me, nothing like stumbling to the bathroom through the dark trying not to trip and wake up the campers all around me while being absolutely certain bears were waiting around the corner! Our matress lost its air so sleeping was not comfortable at all. I cried the second night and told Richard I never wanted to camp again. But hey, I was pregnant. I decided this one night trip would be a nice trial run to see if I could actually stand camping. And guess what??? It was fun! We had two great campsites and we weren't too far for the bathrooms. And we were just a short walk from the beach! It was beautiful. It rained all day before we left so I was sure we were in for a wet night. But except for a drop here and there it stayed dry the entire time. Hopefully we will get a chance to take the whole family camping someday soon. The whole time I kept thinking, I wish the other kids were here!! But they were having an adventure of their own spending the night at Aunt Megan's house. They even got to go to Chuck E Cheeses, what could be better?? I really appreciated Megan's willingness to temporarily double the number of children in her home. From three to six is a big jump, so THANKS MEGAN! I LOVE YOU!
Jane, Kelsey, Crystal, and Adrienne

We got home from camping and headed down to Monmouth for Uncle Rich's retirement BBQ. It was great to finally see Rich and Renetta's beautiful home and their yard is to die for! They had cherries on their cherry tree and strawberries in the garden(I didn't check to see if the kids left any for you Renetta, sorry if they ate them ALL!). It was a fun night and Joseph actually fell asleep in the car on the way home and that NEVER happens! We are looking forward to another visit with Rich and Renetta in early July when my BCF Jill(Best Cousin Forever) will be in town! Can't wait!
The kids had so much fun in Renetta's backyard, this was the best photo I could get!

Today began swimming lessons! Joseph is in the catfish 2 class and Annalina is a goldfish. They both did very well. I am so proud of them and have so much fun with them! Summer is good. OK, so its only the first week out from school, my tune may change, but for now, summer is GOOD!!

1 comment:

Jacki said...

Wow! you've been so busy already! I got the bucket of berries too- it made for a long first day of summer- but we love our jam.
My favorite pectin is the MCP reduce sugar (pink box). It uses less sugar and no corn syrup in each batch. i think the jam tastes like fresh berries rather than sticky sugar.