Friday, April 10, 2009

In Honor of Suzi

The June before last my husband and I spent a long weekend in Boise Idaho at the Anniversary Inn. We stayed in a beautiful South Pacific themed room. The bed was in a grass covered hut. The jacuzzi tub was surrounded by rocks and boulders and the shower was a beautiful waterfall. Every inch of wall and ceiling were painted. The ceiling to look like the sky, one wall to look like a jungle scene with a waterfall and another wall to look like the ocean rolling onto a peaceful beautiful beach. When we walked into the room, satellite radio was playing soothing music, sparkling cider was chilling on ice and we had two champagne flutes filled with chocolate kisses. In the morning we were served fresh fruit and omelets, pastries and juice in our room. How romantic eh?
I don't know if you have ever heard of the Anniversary Inn. There are four of them. The Boise location has over 30 rooms and in the afternoon before check in, they leave all the doors to the vacant rooms open so you can see them all. They range from Romeo and Juliet themed to Jungle themed to Egyptian tomb themed. I had so much fun going from room to room the second day we were there! It was a much needed get away for Richard and I. We realized that we had never been away alone together, except for our one night honeymoon we took a month after we were married! So check out their website for virtual tours if you'd like. Such fun! I truly want to decorate all the rooms in my house into themed rooms.
http://www.anniversaryinn.com/boise.php

Anyway, our reason for going to Boise Id, was not to spend the weekend at the Anniversary Inn....well, ok that not entirely true. Richard's reason for being there was not to spend the weekend there, but to pick up a motorcycle he found on Craig's List. He had been looking for a new bike for a while and found the perfect bike for him in Boise. I probably agreed to the whole thing solely for the purpose of getting to finally stay at the Anniversary Inn. So on the way into Boise we stopped, he rode and then bought a Suzuki VStrom 1000. I think that's all the correct letters and numbers to describe it. We then headed to the Inn where he took me for a quick, very short ride on the bike. I was a bit nervous which probably made Richard a bit nervous. After a glorious weekend of relaxation, including a nice drive to find the Boise Temple, a fabulous sushi dinner and Caffeine Free Dr Pepper hunt(we brought home a 6 month supply!!), Richard rode Suzi home while I followed behind in the minivan full of Dr Pepper.

He loves this motorcycle and has ridden it every chance he got, which in Oregon means late Spring, Summer and early Autumn. I'll admit, its a nice looking bike and I was happy that he was so happy with it. If you keep up with my blog, you know I lost most of my income late last year and Richard's has been cut as well. We have been rebudgeting and learning how to live off of less. We have been selling all of our excess possessions and even sold our beloved four poster canopy bed frame. We have been able to build a bit of an emergency fund this way. Well, Richard decided that for the time being, he could do without a motorcycle and he made the decision, with no pressure from me, I promise, to sell his beloved bike. A sad sad day for Richard. And yet, I am so proud of him for sacrificing something that means so much to him for the good of our family. I know it was hard for him to watch it go!

So this blog post is in honor of the motorcycle that safely carried my husband back and forth to work and everywhere else he went with it. And it is also in honor of my sweet visionary husband who recognizes that sacrifices like this today will help secure all of our tomorrows! Thanks sweetie!