Thursday, January 22, 2009

Basketball...A Game in the Life of Jake

So Jake started basketball in December. This year has been quite different from last. The league did not have enough boys to do a Freshman/Sophomore team, so Jake is playing with ALL high school ages all the way up to Seniors. He is the youngest on his team and has had to struggle to get equal play time. It is hard to prove yourself when you can't get a long stretch out on the court. But he has persisted and tried his best and has learned a lot. They have won some and lost some and tied a couple of games.

Tonight they lost by 18 points, but at halftime they were down by about 36, so they worked hard to shorten the gap. Jake played the best I have seen in a long time. He was all over defense and he made two baskets, one of which he drew a foul and got to make a free throw, which he sank beautifully for a three point play! And he got many rebounds, even taking the ball down the court himself once. His coach high fived him and he turned to see if we were watching! We were! In his last game he made 3 out of 4 free throws, so his average is up there pretty high!

They lost by quite a bit, but it was one of Jake's best games. He finally has the feel of his team and knows where to be and what to do most of the time. I am very proud of him and look forward to his next game! I am so grateful he is playing. I have been very overwhelmed with studying as my first two big exams are next week and I feel very unprepared. It was nice to go watch him play and forget my troubles for a while! I'd venture to say I am still Jake's most enthusiastic fan!

3 comments:

Jacki said...

Good luck on your tests!!

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

Yay Jacob! Keep on shooting boy!

And Yay Amy! Keep on ACEING those tests!

Beth said...

Hi there Amy!!! How are ya? I think I'm finally over my icky cold... and I'm back to blog hopping... woohoo! I can't wait till my little guys are old enough to play sports like baseball... that will be just too cool to watch! Ok... so I can't wait till they can use the BATHROOM by themselves too... LOL! One step at a time I suppose.