Thursday, June 8, 2017

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

I remember very distinctly in high school feeling ugly. I had thick beautiful hair that I liked to perm so it would look even thicker.  I loved my hair, I felt it was my one redeeming quality in the beauty department.  I see pictures of myself then and I wish I could talk to this teenage me and tell her how gorgeous she is.  My life could have taken a whole other direction, a much better direction.  But I have learned so much over the years, that it is okay.

The first photo was a week before my first chemo treatment. Knowing it was going to fall out, I went and had it done at the beauty school.  I just wanted to feel beautiful for a short while.  After my first chemo treatment, I started losing lots of hair.  Two weeks later I woke up to hair everywhere.  I would run my hand through my hair and gobs of hair came out in my hand.  It was kinda interesting, kinda sad and kinda annoying all at once. I decided that was the day. I got out the clippers and never having used them before, I jumped right in.  I won't lie, there was some fear there and there were definitely tears shed.  But I did it, I shaved off my hair.

The final photo is me just last week after a year of hair growth. It came in quite curly and sometimes I have trouble managing it.  Sometimes it is a lot of fun. But mostly, I miss my hair!




No comments: