Monday, January 18, 2016

Cops Gone Wild...Shop With A Cop Edition

There is a wonderful holiday program in Rexburg called Shop With A Cop.  Perhaps you have heard of it  in your area too.  It is meant to give children who have had interactions with the police during the year, a positive experience to replace a perhaps scary and or anxious one.  When Richard died, the police were very involved.  We had two detectives and an officer in our home that day.  One of them nominated Joseph for this program.  When I got the invitation in the mail, I cried that they thought to include him. 

Joseph was a little nervous.  He wasn't sure what to expect.  We got to the meeting place, the Tabernacle at 5:45 on a Saturday morning. They had us take a seat until his officer arrived. Shortly after a male and a female officer showed up and said they were his for the morning. They were hysterical, immediately putting Joseph at ease.  I knew Joseph was in good hands.  When it was time to go I hurried out to the Jeep and pulled around the corner and down the street so I could watch the procession.  About a hundred police vehicles came down main street with lights on and sirens blaring.  Each vehicle had just one child.  And that child got to be in charge of lights and sirens.  Joseph's vehicle was near the front since his officer had picked the "perfect" parking spot.  It was such fun to watch.  Beforehand Joseph told me he was a bit worried about pushing the wrong buttons, but the officer told him he could push any button he wanted.  Then the female officer said not to push the eject button, or she'd go flying out! 

They went to McDonald's for breakfast and Joseph had a McGriddle, which he loved.  My kids will not eat at McDonald's, but I told Joseph they had good breakfast food.  He was skeptical, but decided it was pretty good after all.  After breakfast, they headed to Walmart to shop.  We had filled out a paper with each member of the family and their interests, favorite colors, needs etc.  Joseph had fun shopping for us all and then got to pick out a gift for himself.  He had not spent all of his money, so they told him to go pick out another gift for himself and not to worry about the price.  They got to see Santa and then took all the gifts back to be wrapped by volunteers.

I was supposed to pick him up at 8 but they were not done until 9.  I sat in the parking lot feeling grateful that he got an entire extra hour with these two special police officers. They came out with a cart full of gifts and a ham.  Joseph was so happy!  And I was so full of gratitude. 

When we got home, Joseph placed each gift under the tree.  There were several giant gift bags with extra things he did not pick out. I have since learned these came from the Angel Trees they put up around the community.  There were quilts/blankets for each of us.  Gloves and scarves.  The program went above and beyond for our family and so many others this Christmas.  Annalina commented that she would like to go help wrap gifts next year.  I, too, would love to be involved in helping such an amazing event take place!

Later Joseph told me that his officers gave him police badge stickers and then encouraged him to sneak them onto the backs of other officers.  He thought that was so funny!  I realize now I don't even know the names of the two wonderful people who spent the morning making my son feel so special.  But I have their photos!!






No comments: