Sunday, September 26, 2010

I tri-d again and SUCCESS!!

If you have read my blog in the past, you know that my Auntie Renetta and my sister Megan got me started doing Triathlons this summer. We did Blue Lake and the victory was sweet! Our main goal though was to participate with my aunt in the first ever Stake organized Triathlon for women. She and her friend were inspired by their first experience, that this was something SO many women could benefit from.

Renetta set up a facebook page with all the details of the great event. It was also a place where the ladies could coordinate when and where they would be working out in anticipation of the big day. Someone would post, "I will be swimming Wednesday morning, come join me". And several people would meet and swim together, and get to know each other, and teach each other, laugh together, encourage each other when it got hard. Exactly what the relief society should be! I loved checking in from time to time and seeing the relationships being built and watching women come to the realization, that their health and their well-being actually was important. All too often women lose themselves in the struggle to raise a righteous family. And we also tend to isolate, not forming those bonds of friendship that could benefit us in so many ways as women! From a Stake standpoint, I saw people from other wards who didn't even know each other come together to ride bikes, swim or go walking or running! These are friendships that will continue. And hopefully so will the attitude that as women, we deserve a break, for our mental and physical health. We CAN feel great about leaving the kids home with dad to take some time to get out with friends and get healthy! I live far enough away that I did not get to create new bonds with the people in my Aunt's stake. But as I crossed the finish line, they cheered for me! As we passed each other on bike's or while walking, we cheered each other on. What a beautiful experience!

So this journey started Friday night when I picked up Megan, loaded the bikes on the van and headed to Monmouth! We got stuck in some slow moving traffic and were almost late! When we got there, Judy Homer, Wendy Bollinger and their friend were already there. Right away we headed to Pastini in Corvallis to "bulk up" on our carbs. Melia met us there. It was a fun evening of laughter and good food! We got home and got sleeping arrangements settled and then we talked for a while and fell asleep after 11. We had to get up around 5 to get ready and get checked in for the Tri.

I have to admit, this is only my second Triathlon, but WOW it was so well organized. We got checked in, placed our bikes and headed to the aquatic center. I was really worried about the swim, being in the lanes with four other people and all. My last tri was in a lake, and there was plenty of room to spread out and get your rhythm. Would the pool be too chaotic? Our heat started at 6:35 and it was GREAT! I had to slow down a couple times, and I got to pass a few times too. The swimming felt so good and I was second done in my lane. Yippee!

We quickly got dressed and headed to the bikes. At this point Megan, Melia, Renetta and I were all together. We rode together and when we came across bikers headed the other way, we sang hymns! Pretty silly. It was very cold and I was the only one in our group with short sleeves. I get so hot when I work out that I never need a jacket, but I should have had something this morning! From time to time I glanced down and ice crystals had formed on my arm hairs. Brrr....
About a third of the way through the bike course I warmed up just enough to stand it. From then on it actually started to feel nice, although my wet shirt was frozen stiff in places! The ride was beautiful! Very flat and in the country. It was so foggy in some spots, it seemed a bit surreal. We lost Renetta at the turn around and Megan and Melia pulled ahead a bit, so I was on my own. Someone had dropped a cell phone earlier, so I stopped to pick it up. I bent over and felt something pull in my back. Ouch! But I pushed onward and made it back for the walk. Megan and I stayed together a few minutes, but she wanted to do more running than I was capable of at that time and off she went! It was a double loop and I was SO very tempted to head back after the first loop. Who would know? No one. But me!! I knew I had to push onward and complete this triathlon fair and square! So around the loop I went! They had some great volunteers who cheered us on and that felt really good!

As I neared the track and finish line, there was my Uncle Rich, cheering me on. I remember him at ever transition, smiling, cheering, encouraging. Since my husband and children had not made the trip this time and since I don't really know the people of my Aunt's stake, it felt so nice to see a familiar smiling face! Thank you Uncle Rich! I love you!

I ran the last part all the way through the finish line where Megan and Renetta were waiting for me! Renetta hugged me and gave me a beautiful dough medallion the Relief Society had made for us! What a perfect ending to a great Triathlon! We waited for Melia and we watched many more ladies cross the finish line. Most of them had never experienced anything like this before. Many of them were probably terrified to think of what would be involved, but these women were so happy and proud as they finished this wonderful event! I am so grateful to my aunt who started this all back in March with her first Triathlon. I am thankful for the encouragement that got me started and kept me going. And I am SO very grateful to the Monmouth Oregon Stake who cares enough for their sisters to provide them with this life changing experience!

Megan and I had to leave shortly after so Megan could be home to go on a Zoo trip with her family for a company picnic. The hour and a half drive was fine for the first half. After that, we both got a little tired from coming down off our athletic high! I got home and my kids were gone. I was cold, still wearing my wet suit under wet clothes. But I was tired. To shower? Or to fall asleep? That was the question. I took a nice long shower and climbed in bed. About an hour later Richard got home with the kids. They had ridden their bikes to get haircuts and then gone to the park to play. I enjoyed a nice quiet day at home with them. Just what I needed after all the excitement.

I have now completed my second official Triathlon. The first one wasn't just a fluke, I AM A TRIATHLETE! I probably won't do another until next Spring...officially that is. I do plan to keep training and Megan and I would like to do a trial run once a month or so, just to keep on track. But what a wonderful way to end Triathlon Season!

Interested in changing your life in a positive way? Let me know!

1 comment:

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

It was definately NOT A FLUKE! You are amazing and you can do anything. I love you and was so happy to be there with you. Look forward to the next one... next year.... LOVE YA!