Friday, August 6, 2010

I TRI-ED and I SUCCEEDED!!

I had many things going against me for my very first Triathlon at Blue Lake on July 31st. Some are far too personal to share. But I had determination, the support of my friends and family and I prayed and prayed to be able to do this! I can't begin to express the emotional roller coaster this has been! Aside from giving birth, this is probably one of the most difficult things I have done!

We got to Blue Lake early on Saturday morning. All my kids came along even though we had to leave at 6am. I had not slept well the night before. My stomach hurt, I woke up hot, then I woke up cold. I was sure I had food poisoning. I got up at 5am and started getting ready anyway. I was too nervous to eat or drink. I got checked in and headed over to the bike area. Renetta helped me set up my stuff and Megan handed me protein bars and water. We wore gold swimming caps and headed to the Lake. It was a cool morning and overcast. The water was warm compared to the air. We were the second to the last wave to get started. The air was electric with excitement. We were here and ready to go! We got into the water and after the countdown off we went! Melia and I hung back. I did not want to be kicked or hit so I stayed to the side. The water was very murky, so I could not swim free style like I normally do, that would have been too scary. I did the side stroke most of the way, alternating to back stroke when I got tired. A woman in our wave was struggling. I kept calling encouragement to her and I think that distracted me from my fear. I found that the swim was actually my favorite part! I came out onto the beach and there was my family cheering and waving at me! What a rush that was!

Transition to the bike was tough. But after a few minutes I was ready to go! The ride was beautiful, along the Columbia River. It was still overcast and cool, but it felt great! Renetta and Melia soon passed me. The cross winds were brutal and my legs soon began to ache. I did not now the route, but it was an out and back path, so people were coming back while I was on my way out. I kept watching for a purple helmet, knowing Megan was way up ahead of me. I can't tell you how good it felt to finally see her and have her tell me I was almost halfway there! Soon after Renetta and then Melia went by cheering me on! I was looking forward to the turn around so the wind would no longer be coming at me. I was wrong though, the wind was against us no matter which direction we went. The high point of the bike ride was being passed by a cute 70 year old lady! I hope I am still doing this at 70(and I hope I can pass a 37 year old)! I had a lot of time to think and to pray. I loved being able to pray to the Lord while I was struggling but seeing such beauty all around me. I was hurting in many ways and did not think I would be able to handle the 5K. Triathlon is such a personal sport, I was competing with myself only, just trying to finish. I loved how supportive the other women were. We would cheer each other on as we passed each other. I thought of how alone we are in this life. We can't really stop to help another along, we can only encourage and love one another and pray for strength for ourselves and those who are struggling.

As I made it back to the transition area, it felt like I was the last to come in. There was my family, all of them, and my sister Marella with Conrad, and my parents, and they were waving a Team Amy sign. I knew I could not quit. I dropped off my bike and headed for the 5K. The muscles in my legs that were hurting on the bike ride settled and I felt like I could complete my first triathlon after all! Again the 5K trail was out and back, so Megan, Renetta and Melia all passed me heading out. I came along the lake and knew I was almost back. There was Adrienne and Tim at a bend in the trail. Adrienne handed me her flip flop, a little joke since I had a dream that I had to carry a flip flop with me the whole tri. I carried it across the finish line. As I approached it, I heard my name and number being called over the loud speaker. And then there was my husband and my family! Renetta came up to me and placed my medallion around my neck. I had done it. I came across that finish line by myself, but I knew I was not alone.

My husband took hundreds of photos of me and my "teammates", sadly I did not get any with my family. I do not like most of the photos of me, however I look forward to comparing them to future Triathlon photos, you know, when I am a smokin' hot triathlete! In my division there were 131 people who finished. I was 128th. There were hundreds more in other waves, and probably only 10 people came in after me. It took me 2 hours and 34 minutes to complete the 1/4 mile swim, 12.5 mile bike ride and the5K. I am so happy I endured to the end and was able to finish. I am looking forward to doing this again and again! I want to thank my sister, my aunt, my children, my husband, my family for loving and supporting me and my Heavenly Father for hearing my prayers!!
If you click on this photo and make it bigger, you can see Megan and I waving at the camera!!



3 comments:

Beth said...

There is just no way to express in words to you how AMAZING I think you are for doing this!!!! Wow! Melia showed me some of the pics too... she was just flying high (like you sound) afterwards... and so happy and proud to have participated! You guys are bionic women! Maybe (maybe) someday I'll toughen up and attempt one. (But the swimming part might just kill me... I swear I can't swim to save my life! LOL! Ok... AND the running AND the biking will kill me too... wahahaha! Let's be honest.)

I'm highly impressed Amy! You rock! Woohoo!!!

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

Very very very cool- YOU DID IT! I am so very impressed with you. My sister CAN DO ANYTHING! Love you!

lindaharper said...

Wow, what a neat accomplishment. Good for you! I'm so proud of you. I wish you could see me giving you a high five from South Carolina!