Monday, April 12, 2010

Mother of the Year....NOT

Last Wednesday there was a track meet at Glencoe. It started at 4pm, but since most of Jake's events are near the end of the meet I picked up my dad around 5pm and took the kidlets along. We got there and on our way to the track, Jake and a friend came jogging up. I said hi and he said he had just finished running the Varsity 1500. Bummer! I love to see him run! So I asked him how he did and he said, "I did good". So as is usually the case with Jake, when I want more info, I have to specifically request it. I asked him what he placed and he said, "Oh, I won". My son won the varsity 1500!!!! Way to go Jake! I can't believe we missed it. If I had parked in the back of the lot right away instead of looking for a closer spot, we might have seen him finish! So as we are walking in everyone I know is telling me what a great race it was and how great Jake did! It was exciting and I was thrilled so many people were able to watch him and pass along the blow by blow! Apparently he was running with someone most of the time and he pulled ahead to win it at the finish!

His next two events were not until the end of the meet. I was tempted to go home and come back, but there were people to visit with and I had brought dinner. So I fed dad and the kids Stromboli and capri suns and we waited and waited and waited! The 3000 finally came along and Jake stayed in second place almost the entire run. One runner made his move at the very end and passed Jake taking second by just a few seconds. So third is fabulous and I am so proud of my son who works so hard at EVERYTHING he does. Nothing comes easy for him and as a mother my heart aches sometimes to see the struggles he goes through. But I know he is becoming a stronger man and he has great things in his future that he is being prepared for now.

Saturday he was able to go to the Sandy Invitational with the top two Varsity runners from each event. He had a good time and did very well! After the coach took them out to Chang's Mongolian Grill. He liked it!! Yay!

2 comments:

Jacki said...

Congrats Jake!
And- you ARE the mother of the year (and eternity :) ) YOU are fabulous.

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

You are mother of the year-- let go of your guilt. He is blessed to have you. So happy he will eat at changs! He will get his moneys worth there the way he eats!