Thursday, June 28, 2012

Blessings...big and small

Getting to Rexburg was a huge blessing.  I don't know how we did it, but we are here and I am so very grateful!  We planned carefully and saved and saved up money to make this move possible.  And we had enough for all the expenses as well as excess to purchase a washer and dryer when we got here.  Little did I know the things that would happen over the course of the move would eat up our excess funds!  So a washer and dryer were out of the picture.  We made it here and that was the important thing, but we had little money to spare.  We took four loads of clothes to the laudromat last Friday, the hottest day since we got here.  It was 93 I think and not air conditioned!  It only took a couple of hours since we were the only ones there.  Later that night I was trying to think of some way we could get a washer and dryer for the house.  We have our security deposit coming back from the last rental, but if we spend that, there would be nothing left for all the other basic items we need, like a lawnmower and a bed for Jacob when he gets here in a couple weeks. 

That night Richard and I sat out on the back deck in the cool breeze and we talked about finances.  I had been tempted to get a Sears card or something and get what we needed and pay it back over time.  In the long run would this not be the answer to getting what we need right now?  But as we discussed it we both decided that was not the answer.  We have not used credit for several years, but instead have found creative ways to live off the income we have. This is so important to us that none of us will be using student loans for school either.  We promised ourselves that we would not go back to credit cards and monthly payments.   Richard said that we would be blessed for putting this option aside.  I agreed.  It seems that lately, when I decide in my mind that what I have is enough and that I am happy with the bounty the Lord has blessed us with, that is when even more blessings flow.

Take this house for example.  I did not expect to live in a home as nice as this one.  After visiting several homes here over Spring break, I was starting to resign myself to the fact that our family would have to sacrifice and move into something small, but temporary.  We could sacrifice for two or three years in order to get our education.  Isn't that what college is supposed to be all about?  So I started to envision us in a small apartment and reminded myself it would not be forever.  About the time I came to terms with this is when we came across the house we are in.  I know that we are blessed when we learn these small lessons from the Lord.  I also know that if we had ended up in a small apartment, we would have survived just fine.  I know that it is so very important to be grateful for what we have.  Every so often, I like to say a prayer of gratitude and thank the Lord for all he has given me.  This helps me notice the small blessings in every day life!

Back to the clean clothing issue. A couple of nights ago I was looking for cheap washers and dryers on craigslist when I came across an ad for washer dryer rentals.  A small company here in Rexburg rents them for $25 a month, not each, but for BOTH!  That is less than the laundromat.  It seemed to good to be true, but Richard called yesterday morning and by 8pm I had a washer and dryer in my laundry room and have already done my first few loads.  They take care of the upkeep so if we have a problem, they bring a new one!  No expensive repair bills for us!  Yay!

Now when we get our deposit refund, we can get a few other things we really truly need and can put away the rest for a rainy day...or a blustery cold snowy day, since we are living in Rexburg!

One more blessing I want to share...just two days before the big move I woke up sick, like "throwing up, weak and shaky, could hardly stand up" sick.  I could not believe it. I had too much to do to spend the day in the bathroom throwing up!  I lay in bed and prayed and prayed.  Then I asked Richard for a Priesthood blessing. He assured me I was loved by my Heavenly Father and that I would be able to do everything I needed to do that day.  I got up out of bed, got dressed and got to work.  I felt a few small twinges in my stomach the rest of the day, but at lunchtime I was able to eat and I was able to get a lot done.  To me this was no small miracle.  I can't help but feel that I was sick at this crucial time so that I could find the faith to be healed.   

1 comment:

lindaharper said...

What a great journal entry, so inspiring! Good for you for doing everything you can to stay out of debt!!! I am a firm believer in avoidance of that cancer. You will continue to see blessings rain (or snow) down upon you! We love you!