Thursday, June 17, 2010

Happy Graduation Miss Adrienne

My Adrienne has graduated from High School and we are so very proud of her! It was a beautiful day to graduate, the first sunny warm day in a long time! After graduation we went to her boyfriend Tim's house for photos and food. His mom is always so kind and generous to feed our family!

Later that night Adrienne headed out to the all night grad party with her friends. They were bused to the SW Portland Community Aquatic Center where they had a full night of friends, fun and food.

I have mixed emotions about Adrienne graduating. I can clearly remember her preschool graduation where she dressed up like an angel and sang to us. Can 18 years really have gone by? Have I prepared her for adulthood properly? I started thinking about this very seriously. Figuratively, I have packed her bags over the years, I have given her gifts as well as burdens. What I want most to do right now, is root through those bags and pull out all of the bad and replace it with good, solid advice for life. But as parents of teens know, that time is gone! Did I do enough? I felt some deep depression over this for a couple of days. Then I looked at Adrienne and I saw the strong young woman she has grown to be. I see how she loves her siblings and I see her willingness to serve me by helping out with them when she can. I see her continuing to take part in family activities even though she is not required to. I see her love and compassion for others and I see the great choices she is making in her life. I see how she has learned to work through difficult times and she does not give up. And I know I have done the best I could and she will be alright. I hope she will always feel comfortable talking to me about things and that I can still help to guide her. I know she now has the option to make her own choices, and I may not always agree with those, but I know that I will always love her. I love the adult she has grown into and I love having her around. Probably the main reason I have not completely broken down about her growing up is that she is still home with us. I am so grateful for that and will enjoy the time we have left with her before she ventures out on her own!

Happy Graduation Adrienne! We love you SO much!!

Tim and Adrienne

Grandpa & Grandma Frederick with Adrienne at Graduation
Graduation Family Photo

Our family with Tim's family celebrating Graduation
Post-graduation silliness!!!

Don't they look like the Verizon cell coverage stair step thingy?

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh my gosh Amy! I still have a year and I already feel so nervous about Jeremy graduating and being out on his own. I totally know the "did I do enough" panic! It goes by so fast and I just hope they know we do the best we can and we love them. Thanks for sharing. :)