Sunday, March 8, 2009

Local Wildlife

Last night Richard and I were up very late and didn't get to bed until about 2am. There was an odd noise and we thought maybe Annalina was up crying, since she has been sick this past week. Richard went to check and both little ones were sound asleep. We tracked the noise out the back window. There were two owls in the woods behind our house and they were communicating with each other. Oh yes, and it was snowing! I cannot get used to the spontaneous snowfalls we have been getting! So it was too cold to sleep with the windows open. We could still hear them and fell asleep to their peaceful calls.

This morning Joseph got me up early and I took him downstairs for breakfast and it was snowing again, very lightly. It was so pretty and I fell asleep on the sofa watching it fall. It did not stick much and it warmed up enough to stop shortly thereafter. Later I was up in my room looking out our big picture window when I saw something that did not blend in with the trees. I got my camera and took a few not very good photos. It was a hawk and it was impressively big! I thought at first it was perhaps an owl, but they are nocturnal. Richard came in and saw it too and then it flew off. Between our yard and the treeline there is an open meadow and I imagine we get birds of prey watching for dinner from the trees often. I will have to keep my eyes open. Its fun to live so close to nature.
Another fun spot to check out nature is our local library. A few weeks ago we took the dogs and went exploring at the Dawson Creek Park behind the library. We all had fun and we got to see some herons enjoying the beautiful weather. They are kind of alien looking!



4 comments:

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

I love all the wild animals, dogs, kids, husband you have yourself surrounded with. :o) What a fun night to live with the owls and to wake up the next morning and fully appreciate Nature. I think we are blessed when we take a minute to open our eyes and love our surroundings.

Beth said...

Even if there WERE owls outside OUR windows, we wouldn't be able to hear them over the dogs barking in the yards behind us!!! LOL! So fun that you were able to hear that!!! And we love that library too.... every time we even just DRIVE by it, Tyler will start saying 'Ducks, ducks... where are you ducks?' Hee hee hee... too cute!

Jill said...

I miss the Oregon wildlife and all the green! The trees we have here are mostly Joshua Trees that actually look like Dr.Seuss trees to me. How fun for your kids to enjoy the out doors!

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

I am looking at this again...(waiting for you to show up- I just can't get enough of you!)... I love how the kids wear these awesome colors- looks so good with the new spring colors breaking out.